At Hillsborough Primary School, we have developed a ‘Learning Journey’ approach to the wider curriculum subjects which intends to:
- Develop children’s Belief in themselves as learners and as citizens and, by instilling a love of learning and valuing children’s physical development and mental well-being, ensures they feel clever, confident and ready to tackle any challenge they may face.
- Teach a knowledge of the world, giving children opportunities and experiences to grow their cultural and social capital and develop their understanding of how they Belong to the local, national and global communities.
- Place an equal value on all curriculum areas and ensures children are shown a wide range of possibilities available for their future so they Become successful, confident and accurate historians, geographers, artists, linguists, designers, scientists, athletes or musicians, learning at their own pace and in the best possible way to enable each child to flourish.
- Value creative and immersive leaning opportunities that are deeply rooted in a foundation of knowledge and skills.
- With careful design and planning, build in many opportunities for repetition, practise and application of essential knowledge and skills and make clear links to core subjects, ensuring children are able to gradually develop a deeper understanding in their learning and not just merely covering content.