WELCOME TO YEAR 2!
Mr Lant, Miss Burton and Miss Darby would like to welcome you all to Year 2. We are very excited to share our time together in year 2 this school year as this year group is brand new to the staff and not just the children.
What will we be learning this half term?
In maths we will be covering number, place value, addition and subtraction.
Over the school year in writing we will be looking at:
- developing positive attitudes towards and stamina for writing by:
- writing narratives about personal experiences and those of others (real and fictional)
- writing about real events
- writing poetry
- writing for different purposes
- considering what they are going to write before beginning by:
- planning or saying out loud what they are going to write about
- writing down ideas and/or key words, including new vocabulary
- encapsulating what they want to say, sentence by sentence
- making simple additions, revisions and corrections to their own writing by:
- evaluating their writing with the teacher and other pupils
- rereading to check that their writing makes sense and that verbs to indicate time are used correctly and consistently, including verbs in the continuous form
- proofreading to check for errors in spelling, grammar and punctuation (for example, ends of sentences punctuated correctly)
- sentences with different forms: statement, question, exclamation, command
- expanded noun phrases to describe and specify [for example, the blue butterfly]
- the present and past tenses correctly and consistently, including the progressive form
- subordination (using when, if, that, or because) and co-ordination (using or, and, or but)